The shipping manager position supervises and coordinates activities of workers responsible for picking product and preparing it for shipping via carrier services and/or in-house truck fleet. Implements procedures to improve quality, productivity and efficiency. Ensures shipments are delivered in a timely manner. Maintains relationships with carrier vendors and consistently resolves customer issues.
Duties and responsibilities
- Determine work procedures, prepare work schedules and expedite workflow.
- Issue written and oral instructions.
- Assign duties and examine work for exactness, neatness and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Study and standardize procedures to improve efficiency of workers.
- Maintain harmony among workers and resolve grievances.
- Interview and hire new employees, as needed.
- Confer with other managers at facility to ensure coordination of other warehouse activities.
- Confer with other managers/supervisors at locations outside the facility to ensure coordination of other functions such as production, inventory management and quality assurance.
- Ensure correct shipment of hazardous material orders are appropriately identified and documented.
- Identify employees’ skills and develop them by coaching and counseling employees on a regular basis.
- Conduct annual performance reviews and provide continual feedback on both positive and negative performance.
· High school diploma or equivalent
· 1-3 years’ experience managing a large staff, including responsibility for hiring, terminating and performance appraisals.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office
· Professional appearance
· Solid communication skills both written and verbal
· Ability to be resourceful and proactive in dealing with issues that may arise
· Ability to organize, multitask, prioritize and work under pressure
· Able to speak, read and write in English, fluently
· Able to apply basic math
· Pass pre-employment drug screening and physical exam, including DOT required testing
· Must demonstrate good interpersonal skills and teamwork awareness
· Able to work under time constraints & deadlines
· Dependable and work well with minimal supervision
· Detail oriented
· Computer skills are a plus
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.