The mission of the Greater Statesville Chamber of Commerce is to create value for our members by representing their interests and needs, and by being their voice of business, thereby, strengthening the quality of life and the continued development and prosperity of our community.
Greater Statesville Chamber of Commerce 2013
Program of Work
The Greater Statesville Chamber of Commerce will serve as the catalyst for proactive change in the business community while developing, expanding partnerships to achieve common goals.
We are a membership based organization comprised of nearly 650 businesses and professionals. We believe that the long term economic vitality of a community is driven by successful businesses. We serve as a unified voice for business in public affairs.
Much of our programming is directed towards building a network of contacts for our members. Spending money locally with other Chamber members expands the community’s economic prosperity. Through various leads groups, business after/before hours, Business Expo, breakfast clubs, workshops/seminars or our extraordinary Ambassadors program we offer members the opportunity to grow their local business. Additionally, we expect to offer over 100,000 referrals of local Chamber members to the vast number of internet and telephone inquirers.
Perhaps just as important are the initiatives that we undertake to help build a sense and spirit of “community”. When creative, energetic and passionate people pull together for a common cause, good things happen. In many cases, the Chamber has been an organizing force. Together, through the coordinative efforts of the Chamber, we can accomplish many more things that any of us could do on our own.
Divisions of the Greater Statesville
Chamber of Commerce
· Membership Division
(VP – Jan Comer, Engineered Sintered Components)
The purpose of this division is to build the membership of the organization and to provide networking opportunities for the economic well-being of the membership.
- Bring in 80 new members in 2013
- Keep retention of existing members at 88%
- Maintain a vibrant Ambassadors program that meets monthly
- Update the Chamber website, www.statesvillechamber.org to showcase the community, the
organization and our members.
- Serve as a social media “connector” for our membership
- Schedule and host Business after Hours monthly and other networking events as needed.
- Communicate via email with the membership once a week to note upcoming events.
- Coordinate the publication of “The Connection” the bi-monthly magazine of the Chamber
· Public Policy Division
(VP – Randy Welch, Duke Energy)
The purpose of this division is to serve as a proactive and unified voice for the business community in local, state and federal government.
- Maintain weekly contact with local officials as it relates to matters of pertinence to
the business environment of Statesville and Iredell County.
- Communicate periodically with state and federal officials as it relates to matters of
pertinence to the business environment of Statesville and Iredell County.
- Coordinate Local Candidate’s Academy to educate citizens interested in running for public
office about the election process.
- Coordinate public forum for candidates running for public office.
- Maintain relationship with the local transportation organizations to voice our areas of
interest and concern.
- Survey the membership, as needed, to determine areas of public policy areas of
interest or need.
· Troutman Area Council
(VP – Craig Morrow, Morrow Insurance and Associates)
The purpose of this division is to provide an avenue for the business community and leaders in the Troutman area to become actively involved in the vitality of the area.
- Hold quarterly meetings with the business and government leaders in Troutman around pertinent topics.
- Coordinate the Troutman Fourth of July festival.
- Increase participation and membership by 15%.
- Seek areas and programs that will encourage people from Troutman to be more involved
with overall Chamber programming.
(VP - Susie Wiberg, Iredell-Statesville Schools)
The purpose of this division is to serve as a liaison between the business and education communities. We will undertake programming that serves to raise the profile of local education, teachers and students.
- Coordinate Youth Leadership Iredell program, a nine month program for the top juniors at
local high schools in which they are led through topical explorations of Iredell County.
- Maintain close relationships with the LeaderinMe schools through the Iredell-Statesville
School to understand how the business community can continue involvement.
- Maintain partnership with the “Teaching for Jobs” program initiated by Statesville
Regional Development in which teachers are provided information on the local
job market, particularly in the fields of advanced manufacturing.
- Activate Leadership Statesville Alumni Association.
- Provide support to all local education institutions as requested.
· Business Development
(VP – Vince Cherry, Davis Regional Medical Center)
The purpose of this division is to provide programming devoted specifically for local
businesses to enhance profitability. Develop an innovative “Think Local” campaign.
- Provide periodic meetings of businesses along the Sullivan Road corridor that are impacted by the construction of I-40 to ensure good communication as it relatesto traffic flow and other concerns.
- Help coordinate and market seminars and workshops through the Mitchell Community College Small Business Center.
- Aid in the coordination of the Iredell County Business Plan Competition.
- Aid in the coordination of the Iredell County Health Forum.
- Coordinate the five Leads Groups of the Chamber.
- Quarterlyupdate metrics that determine economic vibrancy of the community.
- Coordinate quarterly “Secrets to Long Term Success” lunch
- Coordinate the annual NC Safety Awards banquet
- Develop periodic meetings of the primary Attractors and Attractions in the area to more efficiently market each.
- Serve on the Executive Committee and Board of Directors of Statesville Regional
· Special Events
(VP – Marian Steele, J. C. Steele and Sons)
The purpose of this division is to provide programming that will build energy and
excitement within the membership and community at large, while providing
valuable revenue to the organization.
- Coordinate the Chamber’s Annual Meeting.
- Coordinate the Annual Business Expo.
- Coordinate the Birdie, Bogeys and Business Golf Tournament.
- Coordinate the Corporate Spellin’ Bee.
- Co-coordinate Piedmont HealthCare Friday after Five.
- Co-coordinate Statesville Pumpkinfest.
- Provide support for the Carolina BalloonFest.
LEADERSHIP OF THE GREATER STATESVILLE
CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 2013
Chair – Julia Wilson, GL Wilson Building Company
Past Chair – John Koppelmeyer, Barium Springs
Treasurer – John Green, Iredell Health System
VP – Business Development – Vince Cherry, Davis Regional Medical Center
VP – Public Policy – Randy Welch, Duke Energy Carolinas
VP – TroutmanArea Council – Craig Morrow, Morrow Insurance & Associates
VP – Special Events – Marian Steele, J.C. Steele & Sons
VP – Education – Susie Wiberg, Iredell Statesville Schools
VP – Membership – Jan Comer, Engineered Sintered Components
Board of Directors
Terms Expiring 2013
Pat Rushton, TharpeRobbins Company Diane Prendergast, retired
David Pressly, Fourth Creek Landing Apartments Craig Morrow, Morrow Insurance & Assoc.
Julia Wilson, GL Wilson Building Company David Stamey, Stamey Farms
Jim McClellan, Doosan Infracore Justin Rutledge, BB&T
Terms Expiring 2014
John Green, Iredell Health System Darbah Skaf, Statesville Housing Authority
William Shumaker, Kewaunee Scientific Corp. Marian Steele, JC Steele & Sons
Randy Welch, Duke Energy Carolinas Terry Campbell, Betco, Inc.
Terms Expiring 2015
Vince Cherry, Davis Regional Medical Center Mike Neader, McDonalds
Jan Comer, Engineered Sintered Components Gene Konczal, Providencia USA, Inc.
Tim Brewer, Mitchell Community College John Gallina, Purple Heart Homes
Susie Wiberg, Iredell Statesville Schools Mae Jackson, Piedmont HealthCare
One Year Term
John Koppelmeyer, Barium Springs Alex Fraser, Mannheim Statesville
Ex- Officio members:
Mike Smith, Statesville Regional Development Sandra Bortree, Chair of Ambassadors
Marin Tomlin, Downtown Statesville Development Corporation
Craig Peddicord, StatesvilleConvention & Visitors Center
Larry Pressly, Statesville City Manager Tracy Jackson, Deputy County Manager
Ann Bailie, Town Manager of Troutman Mike Lovette - Leadership