Recreation & Parks Department - Statesville Fitness & Activity Center
Salary Range: $41,513.89 - $68,498.35
Closing Date: Open until filled
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs difficult professional work in conducting a variety of programs and activities in an activity center or similar facility; does related work as required.
Work is performed under general supervision. Supervision is exercised over subordinate full time part time and seasonal personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Schedules and supervises the operation of an activity center providing a variety of recreation programs;
- Oversees a diversified program suited to the needs of the center's participants and potential participants;
- Schedules and supervises use of facilities by groups; enforces rules and regulations and maintains order and discipline;
- Conducts public relations for center, publicizes events and special activities and maintains contact with various community groups and organizations;
- Actively markets memberships through variety of approaches and avenues;
- Seeks regional events and program offerings to enhance facility flow;
- Coordinates special events such as Halloween Carnivals, Senior Games, Easter Egg Hunt, etc. Assists with Special Olympics;
- Rents recreation center for reunions, weddings, etc.;
- Registers participants in programs; maintains registration files;
- Ensures preparation of center for activities and programs;
- Prepares statistical reports on activities; approves order of materials and supplies;
- Coordinates city wide programs, trips, classes, etc.;
- Assures maintenance and cleanliness of the facilities and equipment;
- Recruits, hires and supervises instructors and volunteers;
- Supervises work of subordinate fulltime employees part time and seasonal employees, including periodic evaluations;
- Plans, implements and evaluates extensive seasonal programs, classes and activities and recreation center and other facilities;
- Collects and accounts for registration and membership fees daily;
- Supports staff in maintaining daily accurate attendance counts completing monthly report;
- Prepares budget for recreation center;
- Conducts monthly staff meeting and other training sessions and meetings as scheduled.
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves work requiring the employee to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Sufficient visual acuity is required to prepare and analyze data and figures; do accounting, transcription, and extensive reading; use measurement devices and a computer terminal. An employee in this position will be exposed to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions including noise. An employee in this position could be "reasonably anticipated" as a result of performing their job duties to face contact with blood and other potentially infectious materials.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: General knowledge of the principles, rules, materials and equipment requirements of a variety of recreation activities; general knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of public recreation, psychology and sociology and of personal health and hygiene; general knowledge of first aid practices and techniques; ability to adhere to program standards and objectives outlined by superiors, and to lead and instruct groups in games, sports, and other recreational activities; ability to resolve disputes with firmness and impartiality; ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in recreation and parks administration or related field and two to three years experience in organized recreational programs; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid N.C. driver's license.
This position is “non-exempt” and is eligible for overtime pay.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER