WATER TREATMENT PLANT SUPERVISOR
Public Utilities/Public Works Department
Salary Range: $50,460.38 - $83,260.53
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs difficult technical work supervising and participating in the operation of a water purification plant; does related work as required. Work is performed under regular supervision. Supervision is exercised over plant personnel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervises operation of the water plants including the purification plant and the alum sludge facility, pumping stations and raw water reservoir;
- Monitors plant operations for special conditions, circumstances or changes in operation;
- Prepares a variety of periodic reports pertaining to plant operations;
- Inspects equipment for proper operations and necessary repairs;
- Operated facility when required;
- Ensures compliance with State and Federal regulatory requirements; implements all State and Federal rules and regulations; designated operator in responsible charge (ORC);
- Ensures compliance with plant safety procedures;
- Maintains plant records; payroll and leave records;
- Trains plant personnel on the appropriate operations, laboratory, maintenance and safety procedures;
- Schedules and assigns work to operators; evaluates the work performance of employees;
- Orders chemical and supplies;
- Conducts laboratory tests as necessary; interprets test results and makes necessary adjustments to plant operations;
- Performs related tasks as required or assigned.
JOB RELATED PHYSICAL ACTIVITY REQUIREMENTS: This position involves work requiring the employee to exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and less force frequently to move objects. Physical activity related to this position may include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions. Sufficient visual acuity is required to prepare and analyze data and figures; do extensive reading; and use measurement devices. An employee in this position will be exposed to indoor and outdoor environmental conditions including extreme cold and heat, and noise; subject to fume, odors, dusts, mists, gases, poor ventilation, oils and cutting fluids; subject to job hazards including exposure to chemicals and moving mechanical parts; and may be subject to wearing a respirator and working in narrow or confined spaces. An employee in this position could be “reasonably anticipated” as a result of performing their job duties to face contact with blood and other potentially infectious materials.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, equipment and methods used in water treatment and pumping operations; thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards connected with water plant and related activities and of necessary safety precautions; general knowledge of chemistry as applied to water purification; ability to adjust water pumps, chemical feed machines and other water plant equipment; ability to check the operation of equipment and to detect defects in operation; ability to make accurate readings, to keep routine records and to make arithmetical computations; ability to follow instructions in both oral and written form; ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of plant personnel.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school supplemented by training in chemistry and bacteriology and extensive experience in the operation and maintenance of machinery and equipment in a water treatment plant; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid N.C. driver’s license. Possession of a Grade A Water Treatment Certificate or ability to obtain such; must be able to respond to plant emergencies within 30 minutes. Required to be on-call 24 hours a day. A requirement of this position is to be on-call, to carry a pager, and to comply with all departmental policies including those concerning pager use.
This position is “non-exempt” and is eligible for overtime pay.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER